Sunday, May 10, 2009

An additional something special...



Photo borrowed from
Dan Heller
Photography

Click link for more amazing stairways.




Mother to Son
by Langston Hughes
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

~~


I just have to post this poem by Langston Hughes. I have never ever read anything of his before and this is beautiful. A very apt addition to Mother's Day. I know it's almost over in the Northern Hemisphere and I hope it has blessed every Mom with love.




Love,


7 comments:

  1. EATON that poem is mesmerising. I love everything about it - the optimism, the determination, glimpses of a life hard lived. Wonderful.
    June also in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. such lovely words will never be 'over'. thanks for posting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved the way Hughes wrote for a long time now, black or white if life has not been of the Great Gatsby sort espoused by Fitzgerald, Langston Hughes is the everymans poet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, just came over from Kilauea's place and discovered that you had posted one of my favorite poems! Hughes' had a unique perspective don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem is for Mothers on any day.
    Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this..really cool. Those stairs are unreal..

    I left a comment and it's up-

    ReplyDelete

Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright

Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright
click on the photo for link

Flat Stanley near Castlemaine, Victoria.